- A bowel cancer diagnosis
- Major surgery and 7 months of chemo with associated side effects (and there are a lot!)
- No Zumba for 8 months
- Day to day life turned upside down
I would have laughed and said “no that won’t happen to me!” Well it did!
It’s been a very emotional year, but I’m not writing it off. 2015 has been a significant year for me. I truly believe that I’ve been given a second chance at life (it’s a shame I’m not a cat, they get 9!) and I’m really grateful that I’ve been given an opportunity to do good things with my life.
- Back in June I went on BBC Radio Northampton’s breakfast show on behalf of Bowel Cancer UK.
- During November I got involved in Cancer Research UK Spot Cancer Sooner campaign and did another radio interview on BBC Radio Northampton.
- During December Cancer Research UK shared my story on their Facebook page……
I’m planning to complete the Race for Life with my daughter and close friends during 2016 and raise loads of pennies for Cancer Research. I’ve completed Race for Life many times before – but next year will definitely feel different.
If there’s one thing I’ve learnt this year and that is I will never take anything for granted again. That include things like – my hair, food, energy (I think mine has gone into hibernation), feeling well (I’ve forgotten what that feels like), love from family and friends and take each day as it comes.
It’s only been in the last few weeks that I can actually see the end of treatment is near. People say “it’s only 7 months out of the rest of your life” – try telling that to your brain every time you get pumped with chemo, knowing that you’re going to feel proper rubbish for almost a week, for you then to recover, and go through it all again – it’s not good I can tell you that!
So summing 2015 up, I found this quote….
I’ve definitely had my fair share of “bad days” this year. However my best days will start during 2016 and for the first time in my life I’m actually going to stick to my New Years resolution of stop existing and start living!!!! 2016 bring it on!!!
Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and here’s to a healthy happy 2016!